The working principle of the timer switch is that you can control an electric switch through the timing mechanism. Intermatic timer switches were the first to be produced.
1. Mechanical time switch
Also known as analog time switch, the design of this switch keeps in mind the spring that technically tracks time. The mechanical timer is easy to use. You can set a specific time, just like a watch or other devices that need to set a timer. It can be said that this is an automatic light switch timer because once the timer is set, there is nothing to do from the user’s side.
The mechanical time switch will work manually. The simplicity of this switch is an important advantage because it makes it also quite durable. The wall-mounted timer switch is relatively inexpensive and is a perfect investment for anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced and good quality product.
2. Affordable things and good quality
When it comes to setting a timer, the duration depends largely on the model chosen. Some may allow multiple opening and closing times, while others may be limited to 60 minutes.
There are two types of mechanical switches.
- The plug-in switch, like an electrical socket, is easy to use. They are characterized by time control and can be plugged in only after setting the timer.
- In-wall timer switches have become more complicated because they must be installed on the wall.
Even though an automatic light switch timer is easy to install, even a novice can do the job within minutes, however, installing an in-wall switch requires professional assistance. They are more complex and also manage the lighting system of the entire house.
The advantages of installing a mechanical time switch.
- This automatic light switch timer is very simple to use and install.
- Its reliability is very high, and it will have a good effect in the home environment.
- The simplicity of the switch makes it very durable, so it will last longer, making the investment worthwhile.
- Its price is also very cheap and will be a good value.
Disadvantages of mechanical timer switches.
- Requires proper cleaning. Accumulation of dirt can cause malfunction of the switch.
- It is easily damaged, depending on the surrounding conditions, if you put the switch outdoors, it is more likely to happen.
ALION 24-hour mechanical time switch will be a good choice because you can use it for many reasons. These include washing machines, cars, ceiling lights, buttons, etc. In addition, ALION provides a wide range of products, you can consider when you plan to buy a programmable light timer switch.
3. Digital time switch
These digital time switches operate according to the program. They have many choices and are suitable for many occasions because they are programmable. They usually provide a 24-hour control switch. With some models, users can even set different settings for different days of the week based on their preferences. When not at home, it will enable users to set even a seven-day timer. The advantage of these switches is that you can protect them with a strong password, so no one is allowed to control the settings.
As technology improves, these switches are also equipped with sensors that can detect sunlight and change light settings accordingly. Newer models allow users to connect the switch to their cell phone, allowing the cell phone to act as a remote control to manage the switch settings. You can also connect these models to new technologies such as Google Home and Alexa, allowing voice control. These have become timers for automatic light switches, and with the upgrading of technology, it is easy to access and control.
The same characteristics apply to digital time switch plug-ins as well as in-wall switches. Advantages of installing a digital timer switch.
- The digital timer switch provides a variety of options due to the use of the latest technology.
- The role of sensors is a great advantage because they help save power by detecting the amount of light required.
- There is a visually attractive design that makes them look beautiful and modern.
- They are multifunctional because it provides many services under one timer switch.
Disadvantages of digital timer switches.
- The wiring required to set the digital timer switch is different from the standard wiring. It needs a neutral wire, which is not the same as a ground wire. If you use a ground wire, it may cause danger.
- They also require different switchboards. Before installing digital time switches, you must plan in advance, because they will not be matched with ordinary switchboards at home.
In addition to programmable digital timer switches, ALION offers digital light timer switches. Time switches, whether mechanical or digital, usually perform and function similarly.
Compared with digital switches, mechanical timers are larger in size and can withstand heavy electrical loads. They are designed as large metal boxes, which may not match the decoration style of the house. A digital timer switch, on the other hand, is smaller and more visually pleasing. These designs are often used as a better design for the house. By pressing the on and off buttons, the mechanical time switch can be controlled 24 hours a day seven days a week.
At the same time, the digital time switch is automatically controlled and can be set by a specific date and time. They can be set to seven days a week, 24 hours a day, or even once a year. These two kinds of timing switches have their own set of advantages, which can be applied to users according to requirements. There are many models that can provide different functions and specific gravity.
Either way, these two switch timers are a great asset for the owners and a good choice.